Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Sacred Art of Dying

I reminded Charlotte and Zach yesterday that that afternoon I would be participating in the first day of The Sacred Art of Dying workshop that Callanish was holding.

Zach flashed Charlotte a quick sideways glance and said "Is there something that you're not telling us?" I said "No. You know me, I have forthright Tourette's. If there's anything new to tell, you will know." They both had a puzzled look and I told them that it is reassuring and calming to deal with one's demise (be it imminent or not), that it helps to live life fully. They didn't seem convinced and I don't expect them to be. They just turned 12 and 14. But somewhere that data is tucked away in their grey matter and it will serve them well.

I then told them a very sad and true story about a businessman who died at work, in a washroom, from a heart attack. No chance for good-byes. No chance to "put one's affairs in order." I told the kids that I would way rather die from metastatic cancer than die unexpectedly like that.

I used to think that being in my mid-40's meant that I was middle-aged. My beloved grandmother, Evi, died when she was 91, and so I just assumed I would live to my 90's as well. When I thought I had half my life left to live I was--in retrospect--very casual about how I spent my time.

But what if today really was my last day of life? Did I notice the birds singing as I awoke. Did I take the time to look at all the green shoots and spring bulbs in the garden or just rush past to hop in the car and get to work/appointment/kids dropped off. What messes did I create in my rush to start my day. Did I hug my loved ones or holler at them? Is my will up-to-date? Did I leave love letters to intimates that I had written so many times in my head?

What if I die today? And what if I don't? Will I be startled enough by the notion that I may not have as long as I had assumed/planned/wanted/depended on to actually be inspired to consider what The Sacred Art of Living might mean for me?

1 comment:

  1. Zoe, have you ever heard of the book, "Life is a Verb - 37 days to wake up, be mindful and live intentionally"? It was inspired by facing what would change if you knew you had 37 days left to live. I'm reading it now and love it. The writer, Patti Digh, is a kindred spirit of yours.

    Those construction vehicles below were there when I visited you eight years ago!!

    ReplyDelete