Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adventures in Chemoland: Episode #3

Chemo #3: 3/20/09--Herceptin, Taxol (reduced by 25%) and Carboplatin

Who's that complete nutbar in this photo? Why me of course. What on earth am I wearing on my hands? Oh, those are "ice gloves" which are used usually for people receiving Taxotere, a cousin to Taxol, to try to prevent the chemo victims' fingernails from falling off. As an aside, is it any wonder why some people say for the Big "C"--that the treatment is/is sometimes/is often worse than the disease?!

Now just in case anyone didn't memorize my post on Thursday, March 19, I will recap that I got my oncologist's agreement to try the ice gloves to try to minimize the peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness primarily in the feet and hands...very, very bad for a jewellery designer) that I began to have after the second dose of chemo. This is part of the reason that I am now receiving a lesser amount of the Taxol. The other main reason is that I am now a lesser person from a weight standpoint.

Overall it was pretty uneventful. I had all my kitchen-sink comforts with me: the last remnants of my breakfast smoothie, green tea, water, newspapers, study material for a course I'm doing, IPOD and organic ginger spelt cookies in case of hunger or nausea. I had a super interesting conversation with the adult daughter of someone receiving chemo. We were talking about the expense of doing complementary treatments, including how much naturopaths charge, plus supplements plus plus plus.

I can't remember exactly how we segued into the fact that she can really support her mom despite being on Vancouver Island because of the fact that she was a consultant and most of her work was done via the computer. I asked her what she did and she said that she was an accountant and that she worked for a few very large companies (I think in the States) and she prepared legal documents to sue businesses are late in paying clients' bills. I said that that sounded like she had a good job for our current economic times and she agreed. Then I asked her if she was seeing she had seen signs of the economic crisis coming from her clients having higher accounts receivables. She said "Yes." So then I asked her if she is seeing any early signs of recovery, and she said "No."
All in all, it was a pretty uneventful day down in the Underworld. There are a couple of things that I have mentioned in a letter to some people at the BCCA, but that will have to wait for another day. Actually.....I think that I'll just report that to my followers.






I felt so good in fact that I decided to bask a bit in the unforecast sunshine and take the bus home.


When I got home I quickly heated up my defrosted Kelly Zucchini Soup and zipped up to the upper office and this is the eye candy that awaited me...















No comments:

Post a Comment