Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Going For the Jugular


Idiom: Go for the jugular "to attack fiercely in order to have no doubt about winning" Etymology: from the idea that an animal often kills another animal by biting the jugular vein (tube that carries blood) in the neck, causing the animal to bleed to death quickly Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced without permission.

Two nights ago I was having a candlelight dinner with Zack. Charlotte was out, Zack had an hour before his hockey game and we were relaxing over a light supper of Kelly's Winter Warm-up Soup, Rustic Baguette and veggies. It was lovely. As I chatted with Zack, I placed my right hand up the left side of my neck. My brain made the sound effect of a toddler unsuccessfully attempting to lift the needle off of a playing record. My fingers went...poke, poke, poke. Then calmly I moved closer to Zack and asked if there was something strange about my neck. "There's a vein sticking way out," was his confirming response. I went to the mirror. Yup...big vein in neck...very, very engorged and blue with internal pressure building by the second. "Do you think veins can burst?" I asked Zack, wishing at that moment that I had picked med school over business school and knew what the eff was going on.


What to do? 7pm on a Monday night. Who to inconvenience with my question about whether this is a life-threatening situation or just a cancer glitch? I decided to call Lisa, the fabulous mom of one of Charlotte's best friends, a GP who conveniently lives two blocks away. She said that she'll just stop in to take a peek as it's hard to describe things over the phone. I sit back down to the table and start gulping back my soup saying to Zack, "well, if I have to go to the hospital at least I'll be full of Kelly's soup." Zack smiled and said "That's what I love about you Mom, you're so cool in these situations." I'm glad I give that impression although it's not exactly true.


Lisa came by and was very reassuring. No, the vein would not burst. No, it was not acute. Things to watch out for would be worsening symptoms, headache etc. but that it could at least wait for the morning or even today when I have an appointment for my happy-bone IV at the Cancer Agency. Off she went but I was not quite 100% convinced that I was okay given how much internal pressure there was. So...I did some "research" on the Internet, finding out the the bulging blue vein is known the "jugular" and that bulging neck veins can be related to pericardial effusion (which led to a middle-of-the-night ambulance ride this past summer), chest tumour or cancer in the chest region.

I zipped off a quick email to my oncologist describing my symptoms and what Lisa had said as a "just in case" and amazingly and very reassuringly received an email back less than an hour later saying that it could be a symptom of any of the cancer-related issues that I had just learned about or it could be nothing that all and that she was in clinic the following afternoon and would be happy to see me then if I was still concerned.


I went to bed feeling wildly appreciative of having been able to avoid a just-in-case trip to Emergency and woke up with the internal pressure gone. Whew! It's great to experience that some weird new symptom does not necessarily mean some dire new way in which the big C is going to work my inventory. I'm all for personal growth but I am just fine with the current rate and am not feeling the need for any added growth "opportunities."

I was reflecting this morning about the jugular vein as I happily noted that it was behaving itself and was trying to remember what the exact idiom was. "Going for the jugular"...it's kind of like "kill" or "be killed." Do I let the cancer kill me or do I kill it? And what would "going for the jugular" mean for a Zoë. Those of you who know me and those of you who have seen me on crosswalk duty at Charlotte's former school will attest to the fact that I have easy access to ferocity. That said, I have never been comfortable with the war-like mood that people often are described to have in their relationship to cancer.

Slightly veering off-topic for a moment, have you ever noticed how people's death from cancer is described: "lost his long, hard-fought battle with cancer," "courageous struggle with cancer," or "died after a ten-year fight with cancer."

That language just does not work for me. I have an immense aversion to war and can't imagine waging war with my own body. I do realize that in a certain way that my body is trying to kill itself, that unchecked the cancer--notice that I never say "my" cancer as it is an uninvited guest and in no way belongs to me or reflects my true identity--will cause my untimely demise.

So my point of reflection is how to appropriately respond to something that is going for my jugular? If it is "kill or be killed" and I am adverse to waging war, then what is to be done? I think that I need to be a cancer-whisperer. I need to come along side the cancer, taking lots of quiet, meditative, contemplative time to learn what it is that is wanted and needed. What changes do I need to make in my life? I have some ideas of how I managed to beat the odds once and then managed to re-create cancer in my body. There are internal and lifestyle shifts that I made originally that I was not vigilant about as the years passed and the first cancer dance became a foggy memory. I do not blame myself or judge myself. I just think of cancer--in my case--as being the Universe's way of cutting through my thick-headed existence. If I had kept up my meditation practice perhaps something much subtler would have sufficed? I don't know what or if I could have dodged this recurrence but now that is here what I fervently wish to do is learn what it is that I am to learn, regardless of whether that resultant wisdom will cause me to heal into life or heal into death.

My version of "going for the jugular" also involves going directly from the head to the heart--it's just more feminine. And for someone who has the fierce, ferocious and feisty angles already covered, this is undoubtedly part of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment