Friday, January 8, 2010

In Memoriam


Zoë Lewis

Zoë Lewis, formerly Sherry Anne Longstaffe, was born in Vancouver on May 15, 1960 and died peacefully at home, surrounded by her children, dear friends and family, on January 3, 2010, after a long battle with breast cancer. Loved for her quick wit, fiery spirit and kind heart, Zoë sought out and celebrated authenticity throughout her life, and condemned injustice wherever she found it. Zoë was a deeply caring and loving mother, a quiet, but passionate philanthropist, an amazing jewellery designer, and a culinary goddess. She is survived by her children, her mother Marietta Hurst, her brother Ted Longstaffe, as well as her many dear friends and extended family, who will all miss her tremendously. Zoë will live on in our memories, free of the cancer that took her body, but could never quash her beautiful spirit. A party will be held at a later date so that friends and family can share Zoë's passion for love and life.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Red Hibiscus Foundation at www.vancouverfoundation.ca/redhibiscus or by sending a cheque made out to "Vancouver Foundation - Red Hibiscus Foundation" to Vancouver Foundation, Suite 1200-555 W. Hastings Street, Box 12132 Harbour Centre, Vancouver BC, V6B 4N6.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure miss you, darling. I find myself often opening your blog, looking at your photo and re-reading old blogs and comments. I feel so blessed to have been one of your dearest friends. I feel honoured to have been part of your life and your death. I will love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful picture and a lovely tribute to Zoe! I too, find myself missing her and clicking on the blog to see her photo several times a day. I think of her, and look at the screaming peacock pieces I have and I smile.
    I knew Zoe from our nursing mama days and then we reconnected at our kids' school, and later, at writing workshops. I will remember Zoe's energy for life and justice, her fierce commitment to her children and her artistic view of the world. She inspired me to write and to express my creativity through my words and I am very grateful for that.
    It was an honour to know Zoe and I'm so glad I am still in contact with those who were close to her.
    I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for updating the blog. I, too, have been 'visiting' Zoe here, awaiting word of a celebration and wishing to remember her more tangibly. I sent Charlotte a card, and it came back as 'moved, no forward address.' Maybe I'll give it to Cousin K? Please advise.

    Boy, a Big Fat Opinion would be pretty juicy right now.

    Cousin T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I waited too long to write my note of gratitude for all that Zoe gave to me. I wrote it in my head for several months, every day meaning to write it out to her, on that perfect card that I had bought with the laughing Tibetan child. But to send it would have meant admitting that her spirit would actually move on. I wasn't brave enough.

    I owe the attachment parenting skills that I acquired as well as other lessons in being a mom, to Zoe. I hope I never lose that distinctive voice of hers, that voice that is still now in my head, sprinkled with wisdom and laughter.

    Much love to all of those closest to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I talked to Zoe only few times in my life...She enjoyed practicing her Italian with me....In the morning when she was coordinating Queen Mary traffic she would always greet me with a loud sweet Buon Giorno...She did it so many times that by the end of the year she had no english accent...I have to say that for the little I knew her, I have been so grateful to be able to follow her struggle with cancer through this blog...her smile and kindness are in my thoughts...My Son Giulio also remembers her daughter and he hopes she is well and he wishes her lots of love.

    ReplyDelete